renting with brandvaughan

your tenancy explained

tenant guiding

before you move in

holding deposit | equivalent of 1 weeks’ rent

 The holding deposit is, by agreement, allocated toward to your first months’ rent, in accordance with the Tenant Fees Act 2019. The holding deposit is refundable in some circumstances, please enquire for further information.

For tenancies commencing after 1st June 2019 where a request is received from the Tenant, for a variation, assignment or novation of the Tenancy Agreement, a charge of £50 inclusive of VAT will apply, per instance

 In the event of lost keys, the cost of replacement (or change of locks if required), is payable by the Tenant

 Where rent is outstanding, interest will be charged on monies overdue, in accordance with the Tenant Fees Act 2019.

 If your Tenancy started before 1st June 2019, please refer to your Tenancy Agreement for further information on applicable fees and charges.

faqs for tenants

what references and checks do you carry out?

When you have found a property you’d like to rent, we will ask you for a few things.

  • From all applicants we ask for:
    • two forms of identification
    • reference from a previous landlord, or
    • if you have not rented previously recently, we will usually ask you for a guarantor
    • a reference (status enquiry) from your bank or an ‘Equifax’ credit search
  • If you are working, we will ask for:
    • a reference from your employer
  • If you are in new employment, we may also ask for:
    • a guarantor or previous employment references
  • If you are self-employed we will:
    • ask to see your most recent business accounts or request an accountant’s reference
    • we may request a guarantor where there is no accounts history
  • If you are a student we will need:
    • a letter from your college or uni to confirm you are a student there
    • a guarantor who guarantees the rent will be paid

NOTE: all applications to rent a property are subject to the final approval of the landlord.

once i've found a property i like, how soon can i move in?

Once you’ve found a property you like, we will agree a proposed moving-in date with you, this date will be subject to when the property is available and to allow time for the references and credit checks to be carried out.

how does the holding deposit work?

The holding deposit will be the equivalent of 1 weeks’ rent, which will contribute toward the first months’ rent. Once paid, we’ll suspend marketing of the property and reserve it for you, subject to references and contract.

The next payments are usually as follows, but please refer to your paperwork which will confirm the details for your specific tenancy:

  • Within 30 days of securing the property, or seven days before the tenancy start date (whichever is sooner), you’ll need to settle the balance of the first months’ rent
  • Within 30 days of the tenancy start date, you’ll need to settle the damage deposit and any advance rent payable
  • If you subsequently withdraw your application (either one or all tenants), you’ll forfeit the holding deposit paid in full

what costs am i responsible for during the tenancy?

As the tenant you are usually responsible for:

  • all bills for electricity and gas (if present), water, and council tax
  • bills for telephone, broadband or cable TV if you want these
  • insuring your own possessions in the property
  • repair of any appliances that the tenant has had installed
  • keeping the property clean and in good condition

is there a charge if i decide to stay in the property at the end of the tenancy?

If your tenancy started after 1st June 2019, you will not pay a fee to renew your tenancy, in accordance with the Tenant Fees Act 2019. If your Tenancy started before this date, please refer to your Tenancy Agreement for information on any fees applicable to your Tenancy.

what does 'furnished' really mean?

For a furnished property, the level of furnishing varies between one property and another, but most often it means there are basics like a table and chairs (if there is space), beds, wardrobes and perhaps a sofa. It very rarely means that you get everything right down to teaspoons, but it can happen.

Either way, all the soft furnishings will have been approved as fire-safe, and the gas appliances will have been checked and approved before a tenancy can begin.

how do I pay my rent?

The first month’s rent is paid at the start of the tenancy, payment can be made in advance by bank transfer or by debit card on the day, before we can let you have access to the property.

Further months’ rent should be paid by standing order either to your landlord or to us, and you will be given details of which to do at the start of the tenancy.

what happens if there is a problem with my property?

The landlord is usually responsible for:

  • the hot water, heating system, pipes, electricity (but they won’t change lightbulbs for you!)
  • the structure of the building, ie walls, roof
  • any appliances that were included with the property

If the problem is with one of these items, then either call Brand Vaughan or your landlord – depending on which of our services your landlord has opted for, which you will have been told at the beginning of the tenancy.

If the problems is with something else, it will normally be up to you to sort it out, although if it is causing damage or sufferance to the property you should again call Brand Vaughan

how do i get my deposit back when i move out?

When you come to leave the property, an inventory clerk will come to do the ‘check out’, comparing the condition of the property and any contents to the inventory made at the start of the tenancy.

If the inventory identifies that dilapidations have occurred during your tenancy, your landlord may choose to withhold some of your deposit to cover the costs. In most cases, the amount to be withheld will be agreed between the tenant and the landlord, assisted by Brand Vaughan where necessary, and the balance will be returned to you.

what if i disagree with the amount of deposit that my landlord is withholding?

If you cannot agree with your landlord over the amount withheld to cover dilapidations, the dispute will be dealt with by The Dispute Service (TDS), an independent body approved by the government to adjudicate disputed deposits. By law all disputed deposits have to be dealt with in this way.

Money protection regulation from 1 April 2019

The Propertymark Client Money Protection (CMP) Scheme reimburses landlords, tenants and other clients should an agent misappropriate their rent, deposit or other client funds.

We want to raise standards in the industry and to protect consumers and the Client Money Protection Scheme is an integral part of this. That is why it’s mandatory for all agents to have CMP in place due to handling client money.

Please see link below for more information.